Monday, February 9, 2009

My Valentine Girl

Valentines Day is very special to me. When I was a little girl, it was all about the Valentine cards. Who would give me a card? Would I get a lot of them? It was always fun in school to make cards for everyone in the classroom. We would cut and paste and use enough glitter to cover the wings of a dozen angels. Ahh, the anticipation.
Then as a teenager it took on a different meaning. Now it was all about that special guy in your life. You always hoped that he could afford to at least buy chocolates. But if you were in between boyfriends or if you were not the prettiest and didn’t have a boyfriend, well that was a whole new area. Valentines day could be painful.
Now as an adult, I have come to realize that Valentines Day is all about my Mother. Her birthday falls on Valentines Day. As a child, that bit of information wasn’t important. I could only see my own desires. With some years gone by and hopefully some gained wisdom, I see how wonderful the day really is. Mom, is seventy-five now. She prefers to forget the birthday part of it. But I have discovered that she mails out cards to family and friends, as her own personal celebration of the day. I know that the day will come we will miss receiving those cards.For right now, Happy Valentines Day, Mom! I love you! Happy Birthday also! Thank-you for all the years that I forgot or was too selfish to give to you, and you loved me anyway. You are the greatest Valentine gift, ever.

No comments: