Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It Is All In The Tools

Ed and I just recently finished building a new home. Now we didn't do the work ourselves but we probably should have. I must admit that we did quite well getting through the whole process and we were still speaking when we moved in.Anyway we have two couples that are friends and one is building from scratch and doing the work themselves the other couple is remodeling an older home.
In either situation it is important to know your tools. I have learned alot about building and I think I can hold my own when given the chance.We have tools to paint, to scrape, to glue, to bolt,to staple, to plaster, and yes I can use most of them. Now the men in this group have banded together to purchase every type of tool made to help them with the building projects. But just how many tools does it really take?
Our contractor , didn't have very many tools and he seemed to not like them much, because I was forever picking them up out of the rain and placing them in a safer place.But my husband and his two buddies, seem to think that more is better. So it is safe to say that a new tool arrives at one of our homes weekly if not more often.
True , new tools work better, but we had a few homemade jobbies that did what they needed to do and then became trash. A few of the homemade ones have made it to the other job sites because they were so nifty! We should patent them!
Any way I believe I will be using those tools again soon as we travel to Halstead to help out with the remodel job. My husband has hidden a few of them due to the fact that I point out to him that I know how to use them! He thinks he can keep me from our own building and finishing projects. There is some physicology hidden in there somewhere.
If you are getting ready to build something with your spouse and would like advice on tools or on the art of not cementing them into the basement flooring, I can help you out. I think I may buy my own tool belt and just go into business for myself.Wouldn't that send them running?

No comments: